Friday, February 13, 2015

Styling - Ideas and Suggestions


This week we had the pleasure of working with stylist and creative director namalee Bolle. She gave us loads of great ideas on how to style an image and creating looks that poetry atmosphere, mood and meaning. This workshop helped me particularly, because I was confused and unsure of how to style my fabric samples. Two tasks that we were given were, to style a white shirt in an unconventional way and to dress a punk. Dressing a punk was a good task for me because it helped me to excessively  adorn the body in jewellery and accessories, this not being my usual style encouraged me to be over the top rather than subtle. The challenge to style a white shirt in an unconventional way was also helpful to me, it encouraged me to be experimental in the way in which I dressed the body with such an iconic piece of clothing. Both of these tasks challenged my preconceptions of the styling I want to use in my shoot. 



In light of this workshop I decided to style the garments on the human female body.  Due to the curvy and flowing nature of the samples, I discovered that they work well with the curvy nature of the female figure. I experimented with three garments and dressed them in ways that seemed impossible. Because of  the diverse shape of the samples you're able to twist and turn them in ways to create new shapes.With some of the smaller samples I decided to carry out a similar styling task, instead of using them for their original purpose of sleeves or cuffs I decided to turn them into a full garment.  Using a miniature mannequin i used the samples to create various outfits. I positioned the miniature mannequin in natural positions so that my models can replicate them in the studio.



No comments:

Post a Comment