Monday, March 2, 2015

Initial Photo Shoots

Below shows a selective sample of contact sheets from three photo shoot I produced over the last week. As you can see my models vary in height age and ethnicity. I did not choose my models as a way of tokenising them just to suit the theme of diversity, but I chose them to compliment each individual piece in a unique way based on their unique appearance. The green sample is complemented by a young female model with short hair and quirky tattoos, her pale skin and short hair compliment the form and colour of the piece. In this particular session I decided to experiment with some reflective material in order to emphasise and celebrate the colour of the garment. I feel that the idea could have worked well but as it was a last-minute decision, the space I photographed in was not complimentary of the reflective material. Following this shoot, I decided to cast a very tall and elegant female model, to complement a long slender dress. Using the failed method of reflective material from the previous shoot I decided to experiment with it one more time. This time I decided to place it on the floor so that the oranges and yellows of the dress could be reflected, I think it worked really well reflecting colours onto the floor rather than the backdrop. As this is the only finalised garment in my shoot, I decided that I could show its diversity by adorning the body with the dress in an unconventional way.  I challenge my own preconception of a "dress" and experimented with styling the model in different ways using it. The idea that seem to work the best, which we discovered quite quickly, was to let the dress hang around the neck as if it had not been put on properly or only halfway. Learning that single garment can be placed on the body in multiple ways has led to visualise my final outcome.  I would like my four models to display one garment or sample in two very different ways, this way I will be demonstrating the theme of diversity through the garments. At this point I have also decided that I would prefer to shoot just female models for my final outcome, have experimented with using male models and it seemed that the male physique does not complements the samples as much as the female figure does. I have plans for two full body compositions that I would like to photograph in my final shoot. I think this composition will complement the specific garment perfectly, and with this in mind I decided that it would be mandatory to shoot head shots for my third shoot. Unintentionally, but undoubtably aesthetically pleasing, my third model also had short hair, which compliments all of the garments and samples. I used an orange collar to accentuate and compliment the texture and colour of my models hair and skin tone. I am yet to discover what shot i would like to use this model for again, but for now I have a great head shot that works with the other final images flawlessly.


(Photography, Authors Own - Knitwear, Karen Moore - Model, Nelly Smith)


(Photography, Authors Own - Knitwear, Karen Moore)

(Photography, Authors Own - Knitwear, Karen Moore - Model, Cynthia Granfield)

At first I decided that I would use simple white paint across the eyes to show purity and freshness.  I didn't want my imagery to be too contrived or to be seen as tokenising the idea of African tribal body art,  so this simple makeup technique seemed appropriate. When I composed the first shoot with the green garment and tattooed female model I forgot to apply the white paint around the eyes, at first I was disappointed and wanted to shoot again with makeup,  but as I began to upload images on my computer to edit them in photo shop I actually preferred this natural look. Although the model wearing the orange collar was not one of my first, I didn't intend to apply makeup to her as I wanted to keep her looking natural and celebrate her age and identity.


No comments:

Post a Comment